What is SymmetricDS
SymmetricDS is open source software for multi-master database replication, filtered synchronization, or transformation across the network in a heterogeneous environment. It supports multiple subscribers with one direction or bi-directional asynchronous data replication. It uses web and database technologies to replicate tables between relational databases, in near real time if desired. The software was designed to scale for a large number of databases, work across low-bandwidth connections, and withstand periods of network outage.
By using database triggers, SymmetricDS guarantees that data changes are captured and atomicity is preserved. Support for database vendors is provided through a Database Dialect layer, with implementations for MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, SQL Server Azure, PostgreSQL, DB2, Informix, Interbase, Firebird, HSQLDB, H2, Apache Derby, Greenplum, and SQLite included.
Synchronization can be configured to push data or pull data on a periodic basis. SymmetricDS allows for synchronization between two or more tiers of nodes, as might be needed in the following scenarios:
- A handful of regional servers synchronizing from the general office to remote geographical areas
- Dozens of Point of Sale (POS) register nodes using an embedded database to sync with a store server
- Thousands of store server nodes using a departmental class database to sync with a regional node
Deployment options include the following:
- Web application archive (WAR) deployed to an application server such as Tomcat, Jetty, or JBoss
- Standalone service
- Embedded in an application
SymmetricDS is written in Java and licensed as open source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL).